List:       opennms-install
Subject:    [opennms-install] Update "rrd -- no files being created"
From:       mziebell () cirrustech ! com ! au
Date:       2006-07-16 9:34:15

[Attachment #2 (unknown)]

<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><FONT \
face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV>(This would \
have been posted as a reply to my previous posting, but subscribing to the digest, \
and having deleted that particular digest, I have no idea how to do so -- perhaps an \
indication that the intricacies of OpenNMS are a bit beyond me... anyhow, here is the \
sequel)</DIV><DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>After being unable to debug what went wrong \
with my first attempt, I tried the installagain on another machine. </DIV><DIV> \
</DIV><DIV>The installation process <BR>&nbsp; System: Fedora 5 core (same as first \
machine) <BR>&nbsp; snmp modules and rrd tool previously installed from evaluating \
cacti (same as first machine) </DIV><DIV>So first I needed the jdk, downloaded from \
Sun 1.5.0_07 (on first machine I was using 04) <BR>Then downloaded Tomcat 4.1.32 (on \
the first machine I had Tomcat 5.5) <BR>Next postgresql, then curl. All seemed to go \
smoothly and I checked postgresql as in the troubleshooting How-To before moving on. \
All OK. </DIV><DIV><BR>Lastly <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; opennms -- downloaded 1.2.8 rpm \
and installed <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; opennms-webapp -- failed dependency of Tomcat \
1.4, so installed with nodeps <BR>As a result I had to manually \
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i) linked the jars -- castor (2 of them) log4j and all the \
opennms* jar files into server/lib <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ii) link common/endorsed \
copied the xalan and xml jars from opennms/lib <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; iii) link the \
opennms/webapps/opennms to the tomcat webapps directory and copy the opennms.xml file \
into tomcat's webapps </DIV><DIV>Then linked&nbsp; /usr/lib/librrd.so.2.0.7&nbsp; to \
/usr/lib/librrd.so.0 (on the first machine I linked to /usr/lib/librrd.so.2, itself a \
symbolic link) <BR>Note: I only discovered I had to do this after looking through the \
log files for exceptions. </DIV><DIV>I was now able to get one report, \
hrSystemUptime. </DIV><DIV><BR>So scanned through "SNMP Reports How-To" again and \
made sure all OK. Throughout this process I had been testing with snmpget and \
snmpwalk to make sure I get data from the OIDs listed, and I used "localhost" as the \
host name.&nbsp; I also noted that a change had to be made to the \
datacollection-config.xml as illustrated in the How-To&nbsp; &lt;!-- \
sysoidMask.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.250./sysoidMask --&gt; to \
&lt;sysoidMask.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.&lt;/sysoidMask&gt; </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>At this \
point I seemed to have a diversion, as I assumed that, if I was getting uptime but \
none of the&nbsp;other reports defined in snmp-graph.properties, perhaps I had \
mis-configured the system so that it was not using this file.&nbsp; (As it turned out \
I eventually had an error in the snmp-config.xml on the ip address range, but I think \
I introduced this later when I realised that the hrSystemUptime.rrd file was not \
being updated.) Anyway I was now getting an event notification that SNMP collection \
failed and my sole .rrd file was not being updated.&nbsp; </DIV><DIV><BR>So back to \
the snmp.config -- here I had "rocommunity mycommunitystring localhost". I replaced \
this with just "rocommunity mycommunitystring" and now all reports (well a lot of \
reports) are now showing up! </DIV><DIV><BR>The next challenge is to <BR>&nbsp;i) \
have a secure snmp.config <BR>&nbsp;ii) move on to using it to monitor jmx with \
tomcat 5 and WebSphere 5 and 6. <BR>Based on my experiences to date I anticipate a \
few "headaches" along the way! </DIV><DIV>                     &nbsp;iii) understand \
how to do problem resolution in OpenNMS </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Hope this may help \
some who find the snmp reports are not \
appearing</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Regards&nbsp;</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Mark \
</DIV></FONT></FONT>