List:       opennms-install
Subject:    [opennms-install] Questions about Event Notifications
From:       Guoben Li <guobenl () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-10-31 23:56:20

Hi,

I have a few questions in implementing event
notifications:

1. What's the easiest way to do this: for a same event
we need to page somebody Mon-Fri 7:00am to 7pm and
email him/her in other time. I don't see date/time
parameters/options in relavent config files;

2. In destinationPaths.xml I specified
"initial-delay=6m" in <path > and delay="17m" in
<escalate >. In my tests it seemed that the system
sent notifications in 6 and 17 minutes even the
failure was restored within a couple of minutes. Is it
the way by design? If so, is there any option to tell
OpenNMS not to send?

3. In GpMonitor.java I saw that both (exitStatus !=0)
and (er.isMaxRunTimeExceeded()) result in
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE. My understanding is that
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE leads to nodeLostService. Why
doesn't timeout (the latter case) lead to
serviceUnresponsive?  We need to have different
notification for timeouts or "real" failures.

Thank you as always,

Guoben Li