List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] Webapp not accessible
From:       Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz () optonline ! net>
Date:       2005-10-26 21:29:56

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 16:32 -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Working on setting up a new OpenNMS machine and have run into some
> installation difficulties getting Tomcat to recognize the
> webapp.
>
> I followed the documentation online to install OpenNMS and it went
> very smoothly.  Everything worked as expected.  OpenNMS and Tomcat
> both start correctly.
>
> When I hit port 8080 on the server, tomcat's welcome screen loads.  If
> I try to get /opennms, I get a 404.  I configured users to access
> tomcat's manager and admin applications.  In both, opennms doesn't
> even show up as a recognized application.
>
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opennms.xml is a symlink to
> /opt/OpenNMS/webapps/opennms.xml and looks correct to me.  If I try to
> paste the context into my $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml, tomcat
> refuses to start.  I get a Java exception that says failed to start
> due to previous error message - but that's the only one ::-).
>
> I'm using jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31 with Sun JDK: j2sdk 1.4.2_09 on RedHat
> Enterprise 3.  Sun JDK is installed in /usr/local/j2sdk_1.4.2_09 and
> JAVA_HOME is set thusly.
>
> Any ideas on why tomcat is refusing to load OpenNMS?

I have no clue why, but I install xerces-j2 from jpackage the tomcat
4.1.31 rpm works. One of these days I really do plan on understanding
why :-)

May also help if you paste the tail of your catalina.log so we can see
what the error is.

All of this is moot if you did not follow the install instructions.

Ted