List:       opennms-install
Subject:    Re: [opennms-install] Re: (OpenNMS.Discovery will not start - ping manager fails) Compile error with
From:       DJ Gregor <dgregor () interhack ! com>
Date:       2005-06-09 21:43:14

On Jun 9, 2005, at 4:58 PM, clightner@parole.state.ny.us wrote:
> I have Sun's Java, version 1.5, for the AMD Opteron 64-bit processor.
> My
> understanding was that the JVM was still 32-bit.  Would you recommend
> keeping the IBM java, version 1.4.2 with a JRE of 2.2, or installing
> the
> Sun version?  The EMT64 is, according to Intel, compatible with the
> Opteron
> code.

The memory errors you are getting are quite odd.  I'm not seeing them
when compiling on machines with fairly small amounts of RAM (256MB).

I would try Sun's JVM.  They have both 32bit ("Linux Platform",
jdk-1_5_0_03-linux-i586..) and 64bit ("Linux AMD64 Platform",
jdk-1_5_0_03-linux-amd64...) versions.  It sounds like you have the
latter.  The JVM is 64bit.  Things can be a little confusing, in both
SPARC and Opteron land, where both platforms can run both 32bit and
64bit binaries.

Use the Sun 64 bit version.  If you compile OpenNMS instead of using a
packaged version, it should use whatever the compiler's default CPU
target is, which will likely be Opteron, so hopefully things will "Just
Work"(tm).  No matter which JVM you end up using (32 or 64 bit), a few
compile options can be used to force the C bits that OpenNMS compiles
to be built for whatever target CPU you want (i.e.: so they can match
the JVM that you install).

	- djg