List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Update OpenNMS from 20.0.1 to 21.0.3 on CentOS 7
From:       Jonathan Heard <jonathan.heard () devinfotech ! co ! uk>
Date:       2018-04-17 9:05:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 17/04/18 02:01, JohnD Blackburn wrote:
> I’ve set our foreign ID in our Servers requisition to the server host
> name, and setting  “org.opennms.rrd.storeByForeignSource=true” in
> opennms.properties.  That way, if I need to rebuild an OpenNMS server
> from scratch, I can restore the rrd directory tree thus preserving
> most of the historic performance metrics. There will be a gap in the
> metrics between when the backup was taken and when it was restored of
> course, but my users were happy with that.
That's a useful tip, thanks John! I always thought that foreign source
ID was an integer (and it freaks me out a little that auto-generated
ones can be positive or negative numbers!) but if it can be a string
then I'll look at modifying my config in the same way.

On 17/04/18 07:53, Craig Gallen wrote:
> The Eclipse IDE also has compare functionality like Meld which can ignore \
> whitespace in XML. I use eclipse to help me with upgrades. Also it can be very \
> helpful to use GIT to version control changes on your etc directory. Eclipse can do \
> diffs between git branches or tags. So you can use it to see what changes you have \
> made to a virgin config and what changes there are between versions of OpenNMS.
That's a really useful tip about using Eclipse, Craig - Before I
switched our OpenNMS over to an automated approach using puppet, we were
manually maintaining and upgrading OpenNMS and using git to save the
config - but the standard diff tools in git do not handle XML at all
well :-( Whitespace was a big problem, but so also were changes like
<tag a=1 b=2> being changed to <tag b=2 a=1> between two versions of
OpenNMS - Semantically identical XML but different according to just
about any diff tool :-/
I have to say that the configuration I inherited was a total mess - lots
of inconsistencies, lots of obsolete files left from former OpenNMS
versions. There was zero user confidence in the product and a number of
people wanted to replace it with another tool. I'd still stay that
OpenNMS can be very cumbersome, but once you get it under control and
get to know it better, you realise how immensely capable it is.

Unfortunately, owing to where I'm working I am unable to publicly
release my approach using Puppet to generate OpenNMS config, however I
might not even have taken my approach had I known about this idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-rRMLKMhw  (It's from OpenNMS User
Conference 2014 and demonstrates using 'rake' to generate XML config for
OpenNMS from much simpler text files).