List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    [opennms-discuss] This Week in OpenNMS: August 7th, 2017
From:       Benjamin Reed <ranger () opennms ! org>
Date:       2017-08-07 18:41:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

It's time for This Week in OpenNMS! In the last week we worked on
internals, documentation, and web APIs.

      <#github-project-updates>Github Project Updates

  *

    *Internals, APIs, and Documentation*

      o Dustin and Christian worked on moving event parameters into a
        separate table in the database.
      o Jesse fixed an ordering bug in event processing that could
        happen when eventconf is live-reloaded.
      o Jeff cleaned up his tool for importing events from CA Spectrum.
      o Jesse fixed some issues with custom varbind processing in events.
      o Craig did some work on improving the plugin manager to handle
        subscriptions and individual "product" categories.
      o Antonio fixed the Enlinkd startup/lock-up bug introduced in
        Horizon 20.
      o Jeff added documentation on supported Remedy versions for
        ticketing integration.
  *

    *Web and UI*

      o Alejandro worked on fixes for javascript URL resolution.
      o Alejandro fixed a UI bug in the notification editor that was
        broken by JAXB changes.
      o Seth continued his work on the ReSTv2 APIs.
      o Alejandro made it possible to specify foreign source and foreign
        ID when sending events through the events ReST service.
      o Markus fixed OSGi ReST services so they are not shadowed in the
        |/osgi/| namespace.
      o I added support for ReSTv2 to the event and node APIs in OpenNMS.js.
      o I added a command-line tool to be installed by Node.js for
        interacting with OpenNMS instances over ReST.
      o Markus fixed some bug in ReST response handling and debugging in
        OpenNMS.js.
      o I improved comparator matching in OpenNMS.js filter processing.
      o Jesse completed support for displaying, editing, and deleting
        sticky notes in Helm (and OpenNMS.js).
      o Ronny and I set up the Helm project to have a documentation
        framework and get it published on docs.opennms.org
        <https://docs.opennms.org/>.
      o I added support for creating RPM and Debian packages from Helm
        and publishing them to the OpenNMS yum and apt repositories (in
        |bleeding| for now).
      o Jesse did more style cleanup in the alarm panel view of Helm.
      o Markus did a bunch of work improving filter configuration in Helm.

      <#dev-jam-2017-wrap-up>

      Dev-Jam 2017 Wrap-Up

We've been super busy here in OpenNMS land, so we're a bit behind on
wrapping up our yearly developer conference, Dev-Jam. Tarus has finished
his series of blog posts on what all went on this year, so if you
haven't read them already, check them out:

  * Day 0: https://www.adventuresinoss.com/2017/07/18/2017-dev-jam-day-0/
  * Day 1: https://www.adventuresinoss.com/2017/07/18/2017-dev-jam-day-1/
  * Day 2: https://www.adventuresinoss.com/2017/07/19/2017-dev-jam-day-two/
  * Day 3: https://www.adventuresinoss.com/2017/07/20/2017-dev-jam-day-3/
  * Days 4 & 5:
    https://www.adventuresinoss.com/2017/08/03/2017-dev-jam-days-4-and-5/

      <#introducing-opennmsjs>

      Introducing OpenNMS.js

I've written up a blog post about one of our new tools for JavaScript
programmers and admins: OpenNMS.js
<https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms-js/tree/master>. It was created to
provide an API for interacting with the OpenNMS ReST API using
JavaScript, but also provides a command-line tool giving access to a lot
of the functionality from a user shell.

Read more here:
https://www.opennms.org/en/blog/2017-08-07-introducing-opennms-js

      <#upcoming-events-and-appearances>

      Upcoming Events and Appearances

  *

    *AusNOG - Melbourne, Australia - September 7th and 8th, 2017
    <http://www.ausnog.net/>*

    Tarus Balog will be speaking at this year's AusNOG conference being
    held in Melbourne, Australia in September. AusNOG
    <http://www.ausnog.net/> is the premier technical and professional
    networking event for Internet Service Providers, Telcos, Hosting
    Providers, and Content Providers in Australia. Tarus will be
    presenting a talk entitled /"Monitoring at Scale with OpenNMS"/.

  *

    *OpenNMS Training – Apex, NC - September 11th through 15th, 2017
    <http://www.opennms.com/training/>*

    The OpenNMS Group's next training session in Apex, NC will be
    September 11th through 15th. For more details on OpenNMS training
    and to sign up, see The OpenNMS.com training page:
    http://www.opennms.com/training/

  *

    *Ohio Linux Fest - Columbus, OH - September 29th through 30th, 2017
    <https://ohiolinux.org/tarus-balog-to-keynote-ohio-linuxfest-2017/>*

    Tarus Balog will be the keynote speaker at Ohio Linux Fest in
    Columbus. His talk is titled /"A Short History of an Open Source
    Business"/ and will be about the history of OpenNMS, decisions that
    were made, problems that were faced, and things we'd do different.

    For details, see the Ohio Linux Fest announcement:
    https://ohiolinux.org/tarus-balog-to-keynote-ohio-linuxfest-2017/

      <#until-next-week>

      Until Next Week…

If there's anything you'd like me to talk about in a future TWiO, or you
just have a comment or criticism you'd like to share, don't hesitate to
say hi <mailto:twio@opennms.org>.

- Ben

      <#resolved-issues-since-last-twio>

      Resolved Issues Since Last TWiO

  * HELM-6 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-6>: Create initial
    Asciibinder layout
  * HELM-7 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-7>: RPM Packaging
  * HELM-8 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-8>: Debian Packaging
  * HELM-10 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-10>: Allow users to
    edit journal and sticky notes
  * HELM-18 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-18>: Add support for
    using template variables as query parameters
  * HELM-21 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-21>: Deletion of
    restriction does not update target filter
  * HELM-22 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-22>: Add support for
    quering all existing/supported fields of alarms when building the
    datasource query
  * HELM-29 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/HELM-29>: Help prevent
    upgrades to unsupported versions of Grafana
  * JS-1 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/JS-1>: OpenNMS Javascript Client
  * JS-10 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/JS-10>: AlarmDao with v1
    API fails when only a single alarm is present
  * JS-11 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/JS-11>: add API for
    retrieving ReST v2 search properties
  * JS-12 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/JS-12>: Debugging tests
    with Webstorm 2017.2 under MacOS does not work
  * NMS-8046 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-8046>:
    noSuchInstance causing problems during provision scan
  * NMS-8431 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-8431>: Security
    issue for all admin vaadin applications exposed as OSGI Service
  * NMS-9505 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9505>:
    EnhancedLinked blocks service startup
  * NMS-9507 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9507>: Using varbind
    to match event definition doesn't work (when using the same UEI in
    many definitions)
  * NMS-9511 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9511>:
    ConcurrentModificationException thrown by Statsd
  * NMS-9548 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9548>:
    initial-delay="null" when adding a new destination path
  * NMS-9549 <https://issues.opennms.org/browse/NMS-9549>: Oracle JDK
    8u112 is expired