List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Datacollection mibObj alias length limit
From:       "Roskens, Ronald" <Ronald.Roskens () biworldwide ! com>
Date:       2014-08-08 15:09:05

I think it makes sense to get rid of the 19 character limit. I've heard the newts \
doesn't have this limitation, but I've not seen a RrdStrategy out for it yet.

But that wouldn't help here, since the issue is in the Data Collection classes. They \
need to be modified to pass an un-truncated name through so that the \
truncation/aliasing happens at the RrdStrategy level. (ex: pass the full \
resource/attribute name of "node[X].{resource}[{index}].{alias}" on down) Then if the \
RrdStrategy had limitations, it could be handled there instead of upstream.

This touches most layers of Data Collection too, so I suspect this would be a pretty \
substantial change.

Ron