List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] False Positive for Node Down alert.
From:       Les Mikesell <lesmikesell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-30 17:16:20

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Gautam Parthasarathy
<gautam.p@customeranalytics.com> wrote:

> I have just installed OpenNMS in a 1GB RAM, 1 core @ 4.5GHZ VM running Centos 6 and \
> Linux 2.6.32.  It is connected via VPNC to our Cisco ASA at the Datacentre.  As \
> part of my initial setup,  I went through the GUI and setup the discovery process, \
> which found 106 nodes on our internal corporate network.  I received an alert in \
> OpenNMS stating that one of the nodes was "down", and when I looked at the node \
> details in the web gui, I found that the node had lost HTTP and ICMP.
> Would anyone be able to shed some light on this phenomenon? The server/node never \
> went down, and never had any high CPU utilization.  The downtime started at 8:24 \
> CDT and ended at approx. 9:00 CDT this AM.  Please advise.

OpenNMS did a request over the network and did not get a response from
those network services in the configured time.  You can change the
timeout in the configuration or add a delay in the notification if you
want to ignore momentary problems.    Also it is possible for the
server to miss responses if it lacks resources or is badly tuned.
I'd recommend more RAM than that and looking at:
http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Performance_tuning

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com