List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Customized Event files
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2011-01-18 18:47:29

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:31:46 -0600
"Mark Wolek" <mark.wolek@gdsx.com> wrote:

> As I'm writing an internal document for creating a new Event
> Notification, I am looking at the Events screen wondering...  "How many
> people have edited the events to remove the thousands of unneeded
> events?"  Since events are going to be based heavily on what equipment
> or software you use.

I turned off nearly all service polling.  Nagios does a much more
efficient job of it, and it frees up resources for things that really do
need graphing, as opennms is exxtremely IO intensive.

One feature that would be nice is distributed *graphing*, not just
distributed polling.  That way we could have multiple graphing servers
to cut down on iowait issues.  I don't think I should have to be careful
what I graph just because I'm tied to one server.

We like it, though.

--Russell

--
Russell Miller <rmiller@duskglow.com>