List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] massive performance problems...
From:       Les Mikesell <lesmikesell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-28 14:40:43

On 5/28/2010 7:30 AM, Schindl aNdreas Ing. wrote:
>   My nms-server is getting slower and slower… now it’s as slow that
> alerts arrive about 2h delayed…
>
> Can somebody tell which toggles i can set, that my postgresql db is not
> growing as much and other tuning-tips?
>
> For us it’s not as important to keep histories over years, it’s much
> important that opennms is able to alert realtime alerts and warnings…
>
> Thanks a lot for advices…
>
> System Desc:
>
> OpenNMS (1.6.10-1) and Postgresql (8.1.18-2) on the same server based on
> RedHat EL 5.5 (Linux 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 (i386))
>
> Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3320 @ 2.50GHz QuadCore, 3072 KB cache
>
> 4GB RAM

Have you already done the things suggested here?
http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Performance_tuning

The biggest thing is getting the logs/jrbs/postgres db onto different
physical disks so they don't fight for disk head position.  If your CPU
is 64-bit capable, it would also help to add RAM and move to a 64-bit OS
and jvm.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com