List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    [opennms-discuss] This Week in OpenNMS: Season 1.6,
From:       Benjamin Reed <ranger () opennms ! org>
Date:       2009-06-29 18:47:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

It's time for This Week in OpenNMS.  This week some of the regulars were
out of town, but somehow we got some code committed anyways...

Project Updates
---------------

- Stable: Current Release is 1.6.5

1.6.5 is the current stable release, released May 16th.  It fixes a
number of bugs, and adds a few features.  For a full list, see the
bugzilla 1.6.5 milestone.  This is a non-critical but recommended
upgrade for anyone on OpenNMS versions older than 1.6.5.

    http://tinyurl.com/opennms-165

- Unstable: Current Release is 1.7.4

1.7.4 is the current unstable release, released May 3rd.  Since 1.7.3,
more work has gone on in the Provisiond code, as well as ACLs, RANCID
reports, thresholding fixes, enabling maps by default, and an entirely
new way of creating the OpenNMS database under the covers.  A 1.7.x
overview is available in the release notes on the site.

    http://tinyurl.com/opennms-17x

- Unstable: ACL UI Work

Massimiliano Dessė has continued his work on a GUI for the ACL plumbing
that has been implemented in OpenNMS.

- Unstable: Provisiond Bugs

The provisiond bug we were working on last week has been fixed, and
imports (as well as the quick Node Add) are working again.

- Unstable: Monitor Updates

Jason Aras got his Bean Scripting Framework monitor working last week,
and was able to create a test monitor in Groovy.

- Unstable: Code Cleanup

My code cleanup work in a branch was merged back into trunk alongside
the provisiond fixes.  We're now down to under 2000 Eclipse warnings
instead of over 3000.  ;)  Some of those come from Castor-generated
code, so it's actually looking quite a bit better, but there's still
plenty to fix up.

- Unstable: Build System Fixes

Somewhere along the way, the java.net maven repository changed URLs, and
some of the dependencies we are using in Maven were pointing to their
old URL.  The java.net folks put a 301 redirect from the old host to the
new, but Maven doesn't actually honor it, and was writing HTML files to
the .pom and .jar files in the local build directory.  ;)  This has been
fixed now in trunk.

- Unstable: Modularizing the Web Build

Donald has been continuing his work on breaking up the webapp build.

TMForum Team Action Week
------------------------

TMForum is the TeleManagement Forum[1], a consortium of telecom and
other vendors who work together on standards of integration.

This week Matt and Craig went to Baltimore to meet up with the other TIP
folks at Team Action Week.  The goal was to try to hammer out a bit more
of the specification for TIP[2], the TMF Interface Program.  The idea is
to have a standard interface for various management components like
trouble-ticketing tools, fault detection systems, performance
monitoring, etc.  OpenNMS hopes to develop the reference implementation
for these protocols, once they get finalized.

A lot of politics[3] were involved, but we're hoping that the process
will move forward enough for us to start an actual implementation.
Although the process isn't great, the concepts are interesting, and
should give us a good basis for modularizing OpenNMS in the future, as
well as a tighter way to interact with other systems than we do even
now.  Keep your fingers crossed, and feel free to add toes if you think
it will help.

  1. http://www.tmforum.org/
  2. http://openoss.sourceforge.net/TIPabout.html
  3. http://www.waterfall2006.com/   ;)

SourceForge Community Choice Awards: OpenNMS is a Finalist - Vote Now!

I posted this last week, but it's so gosh-darn important, I thought I'd
repeat.  ;)

Thanks, everyone, for helping to nominate OpenNMS for the Community
Choice Awards!

Now that we are a finalist in the Best Tool for the Enterprise category,
it's time to vote:

  https://sourceforge.net/community/cca09/vote/

As Tarus mentions in his blog (http://blogs.opennms.org/?p=986), they
asked us finalists to do a little extra and create a video talking about
the project and why we feel we should get your vote -- I mean, besides
the obvious reasons, like that our users are the best, most wonderful,
handsome, beautiful, and successful people in the IT and open-source
world, and obviously they deserve recognition for that...

*Ahem*, anyways, as I was saying, they asked us to do a video, the
results are up at YouTube:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96a8gyxEOSw&fmt=18

...or if you just want the funny bits, we've got a short trailer:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ev6GbZ8vE&fmt=18

Anyways, thanks again everyone for your nomination. All that's left is
to go back and vote on the finalists.  Good luck to everyone not in the
Best Tool for the Enterprise category! <grin>

Upcoming Events
---------------

August 12, 2009: Tarus will be giving a talk at OpenSourceWorld: DM4:
The Open Source Management Stack.

    http://tinyurl.com/open-source-network-stack

September 21st-25th, 2009: OpenNMS training will be available through
The OpenNMS Group at the OpenNMS training facility in Pittsboro, NC.

For more information on training, go to:
    http://www.opennms.com/training.html

If you have anything to add to the events list, please let me know.

Until Next Week...

As always, if there's anything you'd like me to talk about in a future
TWiO, or you just have a comment, criticism, or XML configuration file
obfuscator you'd like to share, don't hesitiate to say hi.  Also, we've
still got room for more Order of the Blue Polo members if you'd like to
send your own testimonial.  (Of course you would!)

    http://www.opennms.org/index.php/OBP

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group