List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Missing Telnet service (1.6.2).
From:       Phil Stringer <Phil.Stringer () manchester ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2009-01-30 14:00:07

Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Ville Leinonen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just noticed that Telnet service is missing in
>> poller-configuration.xml file,
>> but it is included in capsd-configuration.xml file. Is there any special
>> reason
>> why it isn't there or is this "bug"?
>
> You can put a telnet monitor in if you want, it's just a TcpPoller; on
> the other hand, the point of having it in capsd at all is so that you
> know to turn it off.  ;)

And there are of course devices that hang if you pool their telnet interface. The
ALOM console devices on Sun machines suffer from this and you can only fix it by shutting
down the host and then pulling out the power leads to force alom to reboot :-( I thought
things may have improved with ILOM where they have moved from telnet to ssh, but that has
similar problems. So don't poll for ssh on ILOM interfaces. The symptoms for ILOM are that
the response is terrible and it can report spurious hardware problems. I've found the fiz
is to stop polling and reboot the ILOM, but you don't get the console back till you reset
the host.

	phil
--
  Phil Stringer, Infrastructure & Operations, Phone +44 161 275 6057
  IT Services Division,                       email Phil.Stringer@manchester.ac.uk