List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] OpenNMS over two machines?
From:       "Chris Hale" <chale99 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-29 11:30:35

Thanks for the information and the update.  Any idea where you are in
the progress of this?  How could we accomplish this currently with
released code?  What are you doing for your clients that require this
functionality?

Do you have two systems, with only one running/collecting, and the
second having a mirrored DB but not collecting/polling?  When the
first dies, then you start collecting/polling on the second on the
(mostly updated) DB?  We have another application from Motorola that
runs like this.  The app is installed on the second box, and two-way
mirroring is set up on the DB.  The second box doesn't actually do
anything other than present data until you start up the
polling/collecting services.

Does anyone have any docs or care to share some docs on how to do this
with ONMS?

Chris

On 8/25/06, Mike Huot <mhuot@opennms.org> wrote:

> Ultimately this is a goal.  A lot of the work going on in trunk right now is
> getting us into a position to be able to deal with this.  In fact there is
> now the ability to have multiple web interfaces access a common OpenNMS
> backend.  There is also work going into a remote poller that is launched via
> a java webstart application, to use on clients for an additional "view
> point".
>
> Mike
>
> On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:14 AM, John Blake wrote:
>

> How would each server know the other server has already collected data for a
> device?
>
> You'd have to figure some way of them talking back and forth.
>
> What's the reason for doing it anyway?
>
> I'd either have both servers polling all devices ( 2 sets of data), or have
> 1 poll and the other not polling anything and just "present" the data (if
> possible).
>

> John

Chris Hale
chale99@gmail.com