List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Alarm Reduction Feature in 1.3
From:       David Hustace <david () opennms ! org>
Date:       2005-04-22 12:34:19

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:56 PM, jonathan sartin wrote:

> Now, if OpenNMS could do this, it would definitely be
> time to buy a case of beer for the OpenNMS Group ;-)

That is next on my list for this feature.  I'm working on a config that
lets you maintain the alarms in this way:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?castor class-name="org.opennms.netmgt.alarms.AlarmConfiguration"?>
<alarm-configuration threads="2"

	<!-- This bot escalates rapid occurrence of snmp authentication
failures -->
	<bot name="escalateAuthFailed" interval="60000" update-dql-count=true>
		<dql="authFailed"</trigger>
		<dml="escalateToMajor"</action>
         <event="uei.opennms.org/alarms/refresh"</event>
     </bot>

	<!-- A query used to find nodes that have had 10 authentication
failures (use <bot> interval for threshold)-->
     <dql name="authFailed">
         <sql:query>
               select alarmid
                 from alarms
                where counter - lastdqlcount &gt; 10
                  and description ~ &apos;authentication failed&apos;
                  and alarmacktime is not null
         </sql:query>
	</dql>

	<!-- set matching alarm's severity to Major -->
	<dml name="escalateToMajor" >
		<sql:update>
             update alarms
                set severity = 4
              where alarmid = ?
         </sql:update>
	</dml>

</alarm-configuration>

I'd be very interested in feedback or questions on this configuration
before I prepare the XSD?

-David