List:       opennms-devel
Subject:    [opennms-devel] Google Summer Of Code 2013
From:       lavinia bobonete <lavinia.bobonete () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-17 22:59:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your reply.

I've taken a closer look to all the projects I've talked about and I've
decided to go on with the 'New REST API for OpenNMS'.

I've tried to familiarize a little bit with the things that this project is
connected with: I've got the RestToOSGi branch source code running on
Eclipse , I've read about the current RESTful interface for OpenNMS.
These days I'm planning to explore more the source code and the OSGi
framework.

Could you please advise me on the following: it is said in the project's
description that the existing API is incomplete. Firstly, at what should I
take a closer look (broadly speaking)? Secondly, which projects/modules
should I focus on?

Regards,
Lavinia Bobonete

Hey Lavinia,

welcome and thanks for your interest in the OpenNMS project.
So what is the priority of the projects for OpenNMS, good question.

We are really looking forward to get an improved REST API up and running.
The Application Stack View, is UI heavy and requires a feeling for UIs.
During the development of this project more experiments and prototypes
will be required.
The refactoring of the Web UI is a lot of small fixes and cleanup very
old JSP stuff.
It includes everything from introducing more spring mvc controller to
cleanup the css.
Hibernate, that is a tricky one. The parts of OpenNMS that haven't
been moved to Hibernate are the most difficult parts.
So for that project you'll require a high frustration tolerance.

The priority? Pick the project you really want to do, and fits you well.

How to start? Check the wiki for the page about git.
Get the code of OpenNMS 1.12 compiling on your system.
You'll find an article about how to install OpenNMS from source in the wiki too.
After that install and configure snmp on your system and add it self
to your fresh compiled OpenNMS.
That should give you an idea about the project.
Load for example the OpenNMS WebApp in netbeans or eclipse and have a
look around.
Most importantly, don't panic.

Regards,

Markus