List:       opennms-devel
Subject:    Re: [opennms-devel] [Openoss-discuss] A TIP Project Creator - alpha
From:       "Craig Gallen (opennms)" <cgallen () opennms ! org>
Date:       2009-06-08 14:17:01

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the questions.

Q The goal of NGOSS is to define models and interfaces between OSS and
BSS components. Are these interfaces specified ? in the process of being
specified ?

A The TM Forum Interface Program TIP is defining the interfaces. The
team is drawing from the base of OSS/J and MTOSI to come up with a
unified interface standard. Presently the focus is on using SOAP over
HTTP and over JMS. These interfaces would effectively be used to
implement  'NGOSS Contracts' between OSS systems. You can only get
involved in the standardisation process if you are a member of the TM
Forum. However as Bull are members of the TM Forum, you would be very
welcome to get involved directly in the TIP program. See
http://www.tmforum.org/InterfaceProgram/5733/home.html

Q What is exactly the goal of openoss ? implement these interfaces as
abstract java classes ?

There are three main goals for OpenOSS.

Firstly to support the creation of the 'TIP Framework'. The design of
the TIP Framework is being led by Jerome Magnet of Nortel Networks and
will  encapsulate the core design patterns and supporting tool chain
which take the TM Forum SID model as a starting point for defining
interface specifications. Each specification design team will combine
end user business cases with information models derived from the SID in
order to specify a particular interface. They will then use the TIP
Framework as tooling to help their task. Work in progress include a
Service Problem Management Interface, a Resource Problem Management
interface and an Inventory interface.

Relevant facets of the SID model will be ported to a model supported by
the Eclipse Tigerstripe project http://www.eclipse.org/tigerstripe/
where various 'Plugins' are used to generate documentation XSD's and
WSDL corresponding to the design of each interface. The output from this
process will represent the TM Forum Specification of a given interface.
OpenOSS will provide open source hosting for the development and testing
of the TIP Framework plugins. We believe these tools will have wider
industry use beyond just the needs of the TIP program.

Secondly, It is intended to provide a framework for rapidly implementing
Compatibility Test Kits (CTK) and Reference Implementations (RI) for
each specified interface. We want to use the model in Tigerstripe to
generate as much of the RI code as possible and significantly speed up
the development process for the RI and CTK which are essential
deliverables for each standard specification and currently take a great
deal of manual effort. There will still be manual effort required but we
believe that the model driven engineering approach will greatly speed up
the process.

Finally, as part of the RI and CTK work, we also want to deliver
libraries and example code which will greatly help potential
implementers of the TIP interfaces. These libraries would be delivered
as Apache 2 licensed open source. The intention is to speed up the time
to market for the adopters of the interfaces and avoid some of the
pitfalls which previous TM Forum interface efforts have experienced
where the lack of support for implementation has prevented mass uptake
of the standards by SI's and service providers.

We are implementing the RI /CTK and TIP library using Java. However the
Java API for the library will not (currently) be subject to
standardisation. It will be a de-facto standard for this particular
implementation library which adopters of the standard can use if they
choose. One thought is that this could be extended to provide a next
generation definition for OSS/J but this is not currently a stated
design goal.

I hope this helps

Craig