List:       openmrs-implementers
Subject:    Re: OpenMRS Oncology Platforms
From:       Andrew Miller <alexisandrew () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-27 12:12:31

I am not surprised by the description. IT projects need a champion and a
leader, and commitment. The building phase is difficult even when
understanding levels are high.

I found problems with the Concept Dictionary that I saw as the
classification method was cumbersome to read, looked a nightmare to
maintain and was multiple. I couldn't see how connections between concepts
were maintained as there was no knowledge structure. I am concerned how we
will ever develop these systems if we don't have a model from which we
build the system. To this end I have been looking at Fact-Based Modelling
which can be used to specify SQL tables from the model.

The notions of Forms as the leading paradigm sells modern medicine short
and is a cop out by IT people. We just don't live by the form mentality or
by the business process, though both have some role to play. We live more
by a spider web mentality of logical interconnections between reasons,
events and thoughts. Unfortunately, you have to be a doctor to see these!

In my travels next year I will try to build in a visit to Kolkata to see
what happens if it gets going again.

--
Prof. Andrew Miller
B.Med, B.Sc, Grad.Dip.Ed, M.Inf.Comm.Tech(Res), FRANZCR, FACHI, PHF

   - *Radiation Oncologist <http://radonc.wikidot.com/>*
   Illawarra Cancer Care Centre, Wollongong, NSW 2500 Australia
   - *Clinical Professor of Medicine*
   Graduate School of Medicine, University of Wollongong
   <http://www.uow.edu.au/~amiller>
   - *Adjunct Professor of Informatics*
   School of Informatics, University of Wollongong
   - *Director*
   Centre for Oncology Informatics, University of Wollongong
   <http://dlab.uow.edu.au/coi>
   - *Journal Manager*
   Journal for Radiation Oncology Informatics
   <http://www.jroi.org/index.php/jroi>