List:       openmrs-dev
Subject:    Re: Drug Orders for Cancer
From:       Darius Jazayeri <darius () openmrs ! org>
Date:       2014-08-27 16:10:16

To Burke's broad point about where it's worth spending effort: you'll get
your biggest payoff in terms of user satisfaction and data quality from
building out standard Order Sets. These will allow electronic data entry to
be much quicker, and is a clear avenue for computer-aided prescribing.

Based on my (completely insufficient) understanding of cancer treatment, I
would not even try to handle those prescriptions electronically at any
scale until you've implemented Order Sets.

-Darius

PS- @Burke, if the doctor is going to be writing the order in the form of a
dilution, then it saves them significant effort to give them a
purpose-built UI. And once you've done that, if you want to support an
"Edit" use case, then it's probably less dev effort to store coded values
in the first place, than to deal with parsing them back out of free text.
(Once Order Sets are implemented, and an implementation has enough of these
pre-codified, the calculus could change. But OpenMRS doesn't support these
today.)