List:       openmrs-dev
Subject:    Re: Mapping a Test in OpenMRS used as a terminology server for broadcast
From:       "'Andrew Kanter' via OpenMRS Developers" <dev () openmrs ! org>
Date:       2014-08-26 6:00:58

I tend to favor Darius' approach here, but the point is that there are different use \
cases. The clinician doing the ordering may see one concept which should have enough \
clinical granularity to allow it to be defined for ordering. The performance of the \
lab should have specific metadata sufficient to allow it to map to a single LOINC \
code. That may be what is reported, but typically a single order may be broken up \
into separate components, each with a separate result and separate LOINC code. \
Finally, what get's documented is another use case where many different LOINCs might \
be brought together for display purposes but still not be equivalent to the thing \
which is ordered. A CBC is one example of that.

The CIEL dictionary makes some of those distinctions. I direct folks to IMO for \
Procedure IT for fully exploded Orderable/performable/chargeable/reportable \
documentation.

Of note, in the US for quality reporting and interoperability, it is necessary to map \
results at the fully-specified LOINC code level where the concepts are SAME-AS to \
LOINC codes.

Andy

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology

Columbia University
Email: andrew.kanter@dbmi.columbia.edu
Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: +1 (212) 305-4842