List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    [openMosix-general] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address (was: stress
From:       CSights <csights () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2006-05-20 13:39:52

Hi Roger,
	I also use Gentoo and have been having "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address" problems with openMosix as well. I tracked
down some earlier mentions of it on the mailing list.

        2004-12-16 someone using (non-official gentoo) kernel version 2.4.27
was getting virtual pointer problems using perl[1]. Tab (of 2.6 fame)
responded 'that was supposed to be fixed in 2.4.26'[2].

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10329688
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10329687

	Later (2006-03-15) someone using (non-official gentoo) openmosix 2.4.30 also
reported the openmosix stress test freezing the machine [3].  There were a
number of suggestions as to causes of the problem and a few suggested
solutions (don't use tls, maybe reiserfs, use kernel 2.4.22) [4].

[3] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14983523
[4] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=15125946

	My own NULL pointer problem was resolved by using official openmosix patch
2.4.24-2 and gcc 3.3.6.
	Here is the test grid using my C++ program and two official openmosix patches
(patched against the vanilla kernel). "success" means the program completed
without NULL pointer for as many times as I wanted (around 10) and "failure"
means a NULL pointer almost immediatedly.

om patch	gcc	result
2.4.24-2	3.3.6	success
2.4.24-2	3.4.5	failure
2.4.26		3.3.6	failure after extended testing
2.4.26		3.4.5	failure

	It appears that the NULL pointer problem depends both on the compiler version
AND the kernel patch version.  om-patch 2.4.24-2 and gcc-3.3.6 "works for
me", but if om-patch 2.4.24-2 is compiled with gcc-3.4.5 the NULL pointer
problem appears after a few runs of the C++ program.
	Someone who knew enough about the difference in how the two versions of gcc
produced code would probably be able to know where in the openmosix patch
things are not quite right.
	If you find anything that works let us know!

Good luck,
	C.