List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    Re: [openMosix-general] Need application ...
From:       Peter Cordes <peter () cordes ! ca>
Date:       2005-11-24 16:21:57

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 01:17:10PM -0500, Joel Hollingsworth wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Bruce.
>
> I am looking for an application that performs fairly poorly on an
> openMosix cluster due to the fact that it migrates quite often. I was
> hoping that "make -j" suggestion would generate many (mostly
> unnecessary) short-lived migrations.
>
> I have implemented a low-level single-segment networking protocol
> that can be used to replace TCP on a local cluster. I have ported
> openMosix to use my protocol instead of TCP to perform migrations. I
> wish to compare openMosix-using-my-protocol to openMosix-using-TCP.
> The only possible advantage I might have is due the amount of time to
> migrate a process. If I compare the two using a CPU-bound job, then
> the saved time in migration will be mostly hidden by the time spent
> on on the CPU.

 Instead of looking at migrations, how about looking at the network round
trip that every migrated process has to wait for every system call to be
sent back to the home node.  That's where network latency is an ongoing
slowdown to a migrated process.  esp. if it's doing some I/O, but not enough
for oM to bring it home.  You could use mosrun to lock
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=4096 count=100000
to a remote node.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)