List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    Re: Re: [openMosix-general] RE: [openMosix-it] openMosix Roadmap
From:       Mulyadi Santosa <a_mulyadi () telkom ! net>
Date:       2004-06-28 15:17:49

hello Roberto

it should be Moshe who answer it...but I'll take a shot first :-)

> it seams you worked a lot to do oMFS... why did you have idea to remove
> this feature?
As far as I remember, Moshe said that oMFS introduce lots of problem.....i
don't remember exactly what problem it is...maybe seg faults on certain
conditions etc

In the other hand, merging oM with famous parallel/distributed FS like Lustre
will benefit oM, because we do not need to maintain the FS, only the kernel
itself...right Moshe?

> Do you want move up openMosix from kernel-space like to create a "layer"
> between kernel-space and user-space? If yes, why?
From what I read, moving oM to user space means to move some part of oM as
user space apps, but not all of oM

for example, the info daemon....this is targeted to be 100% user space daemon

> I think if openMosix is inside the kernel, it is more efficent/responsive:
> isn't it?

Yes, but we need more effort to sync it with every new base kernel release. As
you know from the current condition, on each kernel release (2.4.22, 2.4.24)
the oM developers needs to adapt oM  according to current scheme, eg: VM
change, process management etc....this can be painful if being done
repeatedly...so if we can move some part toward user space...the pain will be
lesser

About openGFS and Infiniband, I'll let others to answer

regards

Mulyadi