List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    [openMosix-general] CHPOX and kernel sources tree location
From:       Mikko Huhtala <mhuhtala () abo ! fi>
Date:       2004-03-31 6:05:20

Jose Javier Forment Millet writes:
 > 1.- Is it possible that the openmosix RPM file installed the kernel but not its \
sources?

Yes. The kernel binary and the kernel sources are separate RPMs.

 > 2.- If the answer to the question 1 is no, how can I find the kernel sources?
For some reason the openMosix SourceForge site does not seem to have
the source RPMs, but only the binaries. So download the oM patch and
apply it to the stock Linux kernel source. List of Linux kernel
mirrors is at http://www.kernel.org/.

 > 3.- If the answer to the question 1 is yes, do I have to necessarily install the \
kernel sources to use the checkpox utility?

I haven't installed checkpointing, but it seems that their recommended
method of installation is compilation from source, so yes.

 > 4.- If the answer to the question 3 is yes, will it be necessary only to install \
them, or do I also have to recompile?

It's probably not necessary to recompile, but you may need to copy the
kernel configuration from the oM RPM package and do 'make oldconfig;
make dep' to generate all the header files.

 > 5.- If I only have to install the kernel sources but not recompile, can I use \
those from SuSE?

It is probably a good idea to use the sources of the running kernel
version.

Mikko