List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    Re: [openMosix-general] Silly problem
From:       Peter Cordes <peter () llama ! nslug ! ns ! ca>
Date:       2003-12-21 0:42:44

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:43:08PM +0100, Harald Venstr?m wrote:
> I m missing the folder /proc/hpc
>

> I am using SUSE 9.0 which includes the kernerl-2.4.21.
>

> I downloaded
>
> 1. openmosix-kernel-2.4.21-openmosix1.i386.rpm
>
> 2. openmosix-tools-0.3.5-1.i386.rpm
>

> I installed the rpms without any problems,

 Did you make sure that the kernel you installed from the RPM is the one
that's actually getting booted?  Look at the symlinks in / or /boot which
point to vmlinuz-2.4.21-..., and look at /boot/grub/menu.lst, or
/etc/lilo.conf.  (If your system runs lilo, you have to re-run lilo every
time you install a new kernel.  GRUB has many advantages, including not
having to re-install the boot sector whenever anything changes.)

 BTW, you could use 2.4.23.  You don't have to use 2.4.21 just because
that's what SuSE used.  The user-space interfaces that the kernel provides
are kept stable within a release series, so if your distro can handle a 2.4
kernel, it can handle any 2.4 kernel, including the very latest.

 Stress test 2.4.23 if you use it, though.  I've seen instability with it on
my SMP system, other than the notorious "pipe bug".  Heavy NFS traffic seems
to cause problems.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)