List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    [openMosix-general] 2.4.21-patch + Varbiable HZ timing
From:       klandreth () houston ! rr ! com
Date:       2003-07-26 3:07:59

I have merged a patch from Robert Love's Variable HZ patch into my openMosix kernel \
and then diff'd them to make an openMosix+Variable HZ patch.  It wasn't anything too \
difficult but I was wondering were i would upload this file for some one to help me \
test it.  It works on my systems (of course) But would like 2-3 people to help test \
this that are very comfortable patching and rolling their own kernels.  I feel the \
patch is valid but would like it tested.

The purpose for this patch, that has probably eluded a few of you, if for the \
internal kernel timing #define HZ setting.  In 2.4 kernels the default is 100.  This \
is very safe and stable for every application (like compiling with -march=i386).  \
This patch will allow the user to change this value under 'General Options' in the \
configuration to any value they choose (1000 is the default in 2.6 kernels).  The \
advantage of this is mainly benifitial to desktop systems and cpu intense \
applications such as gaming servers and number crunching processes (what oM is \
designed to tackle!!).

I am limited on bandwidth (hosting a gaming server) so I will probably be able to \
host this on a friends site if a few are willing to test this for me.  But I would \
really appriciate some testers that I could post and host this URL for others to \
download as I feel that this patch is very benifitial on a per machine basis.  Thanks \
in advance-

Kevin (aka CrackerJackMack on #openmosix)