List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    Re: [openMosix-general] Re: Compilers
From:       Jonathan Monk <jm () sat ! dundee ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-25 8:50:20

On Thursday 24 Jul 2003 10:29 pm, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> Portland Group sells specialized compilers that do this; I think that
> there was a nice Fortran tool (name escapes me right now, but also
> commercial) for helping to determine possible points of
> parallelization.
>
> I've never heard of an opensource (or free as in beer) project to do
> this, though.

I have had a look into this and the only 2 examples I have played with are
 the Solaris SPARC compiler (worked really well) and Intels icc (sort of
 worked a little bit). What might work better for icc would be to make use of
 the OpenMP directives to aid the compiler. Havent got round to playing with
 this as only recently got hold of SMP x86 boxes.

Cheers,

Jonathan

BTW icc is free for non commercial use which is quite nice and produces
 faster code (in our case) for Xeons and P4s but gcc is just as good for
 PIIIs or less.

--
Dr Jonathan Monk, Dundee Satellite Receiving Station
University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 4HN