List:       openmosix-general
Subject:    [openMosix-general] Install problem with Adaptec AIC-79xx SCSI on RedHat v8.0
From:       Paul Wright <PaulW () Transource ! com>
Date:       2003-03-31 23:14:05

Greetings!

I have OpenMosix up and running on a variety of machines but I'm having
great difficulty getting it to run on some new dual-Xeon Pentium servers
with Adapter U320 SCSI controllers.  I have finally narrowed it down to one
apparent problem - the Adaptec AIC-79xx driver for the SCSI drives.

When I loaded the RedHat v8.0 software, I had to use the "linux dd" boot
parameter and then load the AIC-79xx driver module (supplied by Adaptec and
apparently specific to RedHat v8) from floppy.  The rest of the install was
uneventful and the machine boots fine using the stock RedHat v2.4.18-14
kernel with smp support.  When I installed the OpenMosix RPM, I got an error
message that it could not find the AIC-79xx driver so I checked all the
paths and then edited the modules.dep file and checked the modules.conf.  I
also ran mkinitrd and pointed grub.conf to the location of the new initrd
file.

I apparently did that part okay because the error message I get now is
'lib/aic79xx.o kernel-module mismatch' and a further note that the module
was compiled for version 2.4.18-14smp rather than 2.4.18-openmosix.  And, of
course, a few lines later progress stops with a kernel panic because it
can't find root.

I have the source for the driver module from Adaptec's site and I have
downloaded and installed the source RPM for the 2.4.18 kernel.  WIth that in
mind, what would be the best procedure to re-compile the driver module to
work with the OpenMosix kernel?  Or should I re-compile the kernel and embed
the driver?  Or   [< insert a better idea than what I've come up with> ]....

Any advice will be much appreciated!

regards,

paul

Paul M. Wright, Jr.