List:       openmosix-devel
Subject:    Re: [Openmosix-devel] help project - process migration
From:       Peter Cordes <peter () llama ! nslug ! ns ! ca>
Date:       2004-01-21 18:07:43

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:40:50PM -0800, sank saraph wrote:
> Hello all,
>                  I  am Sank, final year computer engg student
> Currently working on project ???Process Migration???  on
> RH Linux 8.0 (2.4.x.x) for load balancing.
>         So I want to study OpenMosix code for better ideas.
> So where can I get appropriate code

 Everything in openMosix is implemented in kernel space, so just look at the
kernel patch.  The user-space tools tweak the config, but don't play a part
in actually migrating processes.

> & documentation?

 We all wish there was better documentation...  There are a few papers
explaining things about openMosix, but no detailed code commentary, other
than inline comments.

> Currently I get problem for saving the context of a process
> & how to store process???s whole memory space ?

 One explanation of openMosix that I saw said it does demand-paged process
migration.  I don't know if that's still true, because processes don't seem
to use memory on the home node when they're migrated away.

 As for saving whole memory spaces, CHPOX does that.  It can dump a process
image that can be restored on another machine:
http://www.cluster.kiev.ua/tasks/chpx_eng.html

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)