List:       openmoko-community
Subject:    [QtExtended] Screen Lock -> Suspend
From:       Martin Bernreuther <martinbern () web ! de>
Date:       2008-12-31 11:14:12

Hello,
I'm using the Neo Freerunner with Qt Extended 4.4.2
(http://moko.mwester.net/download/uImage-gta02-g291a9d50_mwester-stable.bin +
 http://other.lastnetwork.net/OpenMoko/qtextended-4.4.2-gta02-rootfs-release-working-with-SystemRingTones.jffs2)
 as my daily phone. Carrying the FR in a pocket, the screen lock application is well \
suited to avoid unintentional phone calls etc. BUT it will still allow the display be \
turned on, since the touchscreen will be touched all the time in a pocket. And \
carrying the FR in your pocket with a highlighted display might not be the best \
prerequisite for a long operating time. The "On Battery" Power Management settings \
(after booting it seems to be always be "Plugged in", but that's another story) "Dim \
light", "Display off" and "Suspend" won't get activated (or only for a short time) \
unless you wait with the FR in your hand. The key+lock looks fancy, but it might be \
more functional to turn off the display (or even suspend) after the lock and keep the \
display turned off, when touching a certain pattern on the screen (or the Power \
button with suspend). (On the desktop, the screensaver was a screen/energy saver \
once, but sometimes uses more CPU cycles than a working computer today...)  The \
screen lock application seems not to support a "password" protection. For a \
touchscreen device, the password entry should maybe be replaced with a secret gesture \
or pattern (maybe like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(game)), but I don't see \
the necessity for such a feature, since the FR shouldn't be accessible by someone \
else. (And if it's stolen the protection is too weak without crypto FS etc anyways).

I still didn't find the button combination to suspend yet. Suspending the FR manually \
after use, I would't need a screen lock application any more. Is there a replacement \
application, just to initiate a suspend? (But I'm also not sure, if I can trust the \
suspend mode, since I once noticed a missed call with the FR being suspended.)

What button combination will initiate suspend for FR/Qt Extended?
(Power button will show a menu with "Restart Qt Extended", "Restart Device", \
"Shutdown Qt Extended", "Shutdown Device", but no "Suspend Device"  and the AUX \
button will bring me to the Task Manager Favorites)

(How) Can I customize the screen lock application to do the job?
(Didn't find this entry in the configuration section.)

Thanks,
	Martin

P.S.:
Where can I find more Qt Extended documentation other than the "Help"-application \
installed and the FAQs at http://qtextended.org/modules/xoopsfaq/ (BTW \
http://qtextended.org/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=3#33 link is broken), \
http://trolltech.com/developer/faqs/qtopia or http://doc.trolltech.com/qtextended4.4/ \
(which is for developers) (How about a section "Further documentation" at \
                http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_/_Qt_Extended_on_FreeRunner?)
--
Martin Bernreuther	martinbern@web.de