List:       openmoko-community
Subject:    RE: Qtopia coming for Neo1973
From:       <thomas.cooksey () bt ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 15:30:33

> Can we please end this back and forth C vs. C++, Qt vs. Gtk, X11 vs
> no-X11, Openmoko vs Qtopia. I think most of us have seen plenty of these
> debates over the years and nothing constructive ever comes of them.

As far as I'm concerned, this should have ended last week. The original question \
asked was "why continue with OpenMoko development when Qtopia is available, faster, \
more complete and stable?". It was debated and some pretty conclusive reasons came \
out (as posted last Thursday)

> 1) Redundency is good, if Qtopia fails for some reason, there's an alternative.
> 2) A greater number existing applications can be ported easily to an X based \
> framework. There is also precedent in the Maemo >project of where this has been \
> very useful.
> I'd like to add a 3rd: Competition breeds innovation. :-)

I guess a 4th reason that's come out now is "some people just prefer the GTK+ api" \
and maybe a 5th reason "some people prefer the LGPL over the GPL".

So there you go, there's the 5 reasons why OpenMoko development will continue.Agree \
or disagree those are the reasons. Perhaps these could be added to the wiki to avoid \
future debates running over the same ground?

Cheers,

Tom

PS: The "faster, more complete and stable" bit refers to the _current_ state of \
OpenMoko and not to what OpenMoko will obviously become.