List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Help debugging slave slapd issues
From:       chris.paul () rexconsulting ! net
Date:       2024-03-30 15:36:43

On 3/25/24 12:52 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> Yes, they're common, and these are caused by a client sending too many operations \
> over a connection without waiting for them to complete. In other words, a poorly \
> written client.
>
> Simply adding more replicas does nothing to address this, you need a load balancer \
> that spreads all client queries out, even when they're all coming in from a single \
> connection.
> Better yet is to identify the client and fix it.

I won't disagree with Howard, who knows a lot more than I do about OpenLDAP.

But I do want to add that if you do have a load balancer, and you do see these, then \
check if your load balancer is using SNAT to manage client connections. Usually load \
balancers do use SNAT.

In the case you see these errors and you are using load balancers that SNAT client \
IPs, then adding replicas is a good fix.

Chris Paul | https://www.rexconsulting.net