List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Help debugging slave slapd issues
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2024-03-25 19:52:18

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Monday, March 25, 2024 6:06 PM +0000 Christopher Paul \
> <chris.paul@rexconsulting.net> wrote:
> > > Those aren't errors.
> >
> > But a deferral is not optimal, is it? I think the question "hints about
> > way to debug" is probably a good one. The brute force method to fix this
> > would be to add consumers and spread out the load. Horizontal scaling is
> > the main benefit of a replicated architecture.

> > > slapd[37277]: connection_input: conn=32974 deferring operation: too many \
> > > executing

> Deferrals are common, they are not necessarily indicative of an issue, and without \
> more detail there's no way to determine there is an issue that needs to be \
> addressed or not.

Yes, they're common, and these are caused by a client sending too many operations \
over a connection without waiting for them to complete. In other words, a poorly \
written client.

Simply adding more replicas does nothing to address this, you need a load balancer \
that spreads all client queries out, even when they're all coming in from a single \
connection.

Better yet is to identify the client and fix it.

--
  -- Howard Chu