List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Transitioning from slapd.conf to slapd.d, best practices for maintaining configuration comments?
From:       Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () fast-mail ! org>
Date:       2023-12-01 22:14:44

--On Friday, December 1, 2023 1:02 PM -0800 Christopher Paul
<chris.paul@rexconsulting.net> wrote:

> In summary, I see great value to continuing to support the slapd.conf
> file-based config, especially for production, and I see a lot of risk
> induced by deprecating it and forcing people to use OLC.   OpenLDAP
> project, would you please consider to not deprecate slapd.conf?

As has been noted numerous times, slapd.conf is unordered and a constant
source of configuration errors and unexpected behavior since people
routinely throw statements in the wrong place.  I would also note that you
are literally running a cn=config system with slapd.conf, even if it
doesn't appear that way to you, since slapd just automatically turns
slapd.conf into a cn=config db (although it may not function as desired due
to preceding note).

For myself, being able to update the servers on the fly has allowed me to:

a) Push ACL changes w/o restart
b) Push indexing changes w/o restart
c) Push schema changes w/o restart
d) Push log level changes w/o restart (Particularly useful when debugging
problems in a live environment)

I keep my cn-config db in git & use a test environment confirm changes
prior to pushing them live in production.

--Quanah