List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Transitioning from slapd.conf to slapd.d, best practices for maintaining configuration comments?
From:       Bastian Tweddell <b.tweddell () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       2023-11-30 15:06:45

On 29Nov23 09:05+0100, cYuSeDfZfb cYuSeDfZfb wrote:
> We decided to continue using the (old) slapd.conf file, and rely on our
> openldap MMR-cluster to keep the LDAP service up, while individual
> servers are restarted.
>
> Since the our 2.5 MMR setup is behind a load balancer, clients don't
> notice individual backend servers going down and coming up again.
>
> We just love the simplicity of the config file(and various includes that
> we do) and also like the inline comments.
>
> We configure ldap through ansible scripts.

Same here! We experimented with the olc config, but the benefits were
not convincing for us.

Plase also note [1]:
```
The older style slapd.conf(5) file is still supported, but its use is
deprecated and support for it will be withdrawn in a future OpenLDAP
release.
```

Is this already on the roadmap when this will happen?

  1: https://www.openldap.org/doc/admin26/slapdconf2.html

Cheers,

--
Bastian Tweddell            Juelich Supercomputing Centre
                               High Performance Systems

Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
52425 Jülich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Stefan Müller
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Astrid Lambrecht (Vorsitzende),
Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Ir. Pieter Jansens