List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Transitioning from slapd.conf to slapd.d, best practices for maintaining configuration comments?
From:       Norman Gray <gray () nxg ! name>
Date:       2023-11-16 10:32:22

Ben, hello.

On 15 Nov 2023, at 18:58, Ben Poliakoff wrote:

>  Looking for any tips about how
> best to annotate slapd configuration, in a slapd.d/olc world. Does anyo=
ne
> have a practice that they find works well for them?

What works for me (in a primary+replicas setup) is to maintain a slapd.ld=
if file with structured comments in it (ie, #@PRIMARY@ and #@REPLICA@ mar=
king different variants), and when changes need to be made to the configu=
ration, I stop the primary server (leaving things to replicas), slapcat t=
he data, rebuild the slapd.d from scratch with the appropriate version of=
 the configuration file, reload the data, and restart; then do the same w=
ith the replicas.

This isn't ideal, but it works for me because the window when no-one can =
write, because the primary is off, is acceptably small.

The advantages are

  * I can version-control (and of course densely comment) the configurati=
on, with all the attendant advantages
  * I know exactly what the configuration of the server is, without query=
ing the server
  * because they're both generated from the same source, I know for sure =
that the primary and replicas have compatible configurations
  * that means I can have a test server (including scratch regression-tes=
t servers) with a duplicate configuration

I can see how I could achieve most of these things using slapd.d as inten=
ded.  But this route feels more direct, and thus more intelligible to me.=
  The first advantage seems the key one, to me.

Best wishes,

Norman

-- =

Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk