List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: publisher migration or upgrade
From:       Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () symas ! com>
Date:       2018-01-25 18:21:31

--On Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:02 AM -0500 Scott Bickford
<bic1ster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Quaanh,
>
>  I did not use -q on slapadd.
>
> Essentially I do a slapadd  -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -b o=myco,c=us,
> -v -w > load_myco.log
>

> We have three databases, so there are three slapadd above with -b
> o=myapps,c=us -v -w > load_apps.log and a -b o=mycust,c=us -v -w >
> load_cust.log

If you are simply reloading a database you exported using slapcat, then you
should be using -q and should not be using -w.

> We have a very large custom schema and three databases, so we are still
> using slapd.conf instead of cn=config.  The schema dates back to the
> 1990s.

Neither of those things is material to whether or not one chooses to use
slapd.conf vs cn=config.

> The database is "bdb" on all three schemas.

It would be wise to upgrade to a current OpenLDAP release, and switch to
using back-mdb, as it consumers fewer resources than back-bdb and is
significantly faster for both reads and write operations.

> The three production subscribers are load balanced and just one
> publisher, which is not load balanced.  It is used by some java
> applications (which are also clustered) for updates.  I am hoping that
> we can replace subscribers over the course of several weeks since there
> is quite a bit involved and have them up and running in production with
> the publisher still on 2.4.40 and the subscribers on 2.4.44.
>
> I am working with a VMWare person on planning how we are going to rename
> the servers.

Again, it would be wise to upgrade to a current OpenLDAP release, which you
will never obtain from RedHat.  If you are not comfortable building
OpenLDAP on your own, then the LTB project has builds for free
(<https://ltb-project.org/download#openldap>).  Another alternative, if
your company wants support for the OpenLDAP product, are the Gold edition
builds from Symas (my employer) which are available with a support contract.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount