List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Upgrade Ubuntu server will purge OpenLDAP data
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2014-12-22 18:48:32

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Michael Ströder:
>
>> Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> * Onno van der Straaten:

>>> Is there an Ubuntu bug for this behavior?  It's a bit odd.
>>
>> One should generally be careful with system upgrades.
>>
>> AFAIK on-disk-format might change because of Berkeley-DB version upgrade.
>
> Unless OpenLDAP uses the HASH database type,

OpenLDAP abandoned the HASH format in OpenLDAP 2.2.

> it's sufficient to
> checkpoint the Berkeley DB environment (and perhaps some other
> undocumented magic) *before* updating OpenLDAP.  The on-disk format of
> B-Tree-type databases is quite stable.

But the environment and logfile formats have changed quite a bit, and
while newer BDB versions will open older B+tree DB files, there's no
telling what sub-optimal effects that has on operation.

A clean shutdown will do a checkpoint. You will still need to cleanup
the environment and logfiles so that the new BDB version doesn't try to
use them. (E.g., using db_recover and db_archive - all covered in the
BDB documentation so I won't provide details here.)

None of this is ever guaranteed to work. The only upgrade procedure that
is documented and will always work is slapcat/slapadd.

--
   -- Howard Chu