List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: ldapsearch stalling when performing searches with a large number of results
From:       Mark Cairney <mark.cairney () ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2012-09-28 16:17:18

Thanks, I've implemented these changes on our "spare" box and it seems to be handling \
these large result searches without stalling and it appears to be faster too which is \
a bonus :-)

I'll look to implementing these settings and SHM on the production servers sometime \
next week.

It might be worth adding a note not to change the sysctl settings unless they are \
currently too small on your given platform- taking that into account implementing the \
SHM key was simply a case of running ipcs -m and picking a value that wasn't already \
in use.

Many thanks and have a good weekend,

Mark

On 27 Sep 2012, at 16:46, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:21 AM +0100 Mark Cairney \
> <mark.cairney(a)ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Sep 2012, at 22:36, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> >
> > > --On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:59 AM +0100 Mark Cairney

> > > This may be a little small. I prefer to fully cache my DB.
> >
> > Which one in particular? I thought the set_cachesize had an upper limit
> > of 4GB but your guidance on the Zimbra website suggests this is an old
> > limit and I now can't find the page on the OpenLDAP site which discusses
> > it. Alternatively would increasing the number of caches from 2 to 2 or 3
> > be a suitable workaround?
>
> BDB 4.2.52 had an upper limit of 4 GB segments.  Since you aren't running BDB \
> 4.2.52, you have no such limit.
>
> > Given that I've got a relatively healthy amount of RAM available would
> > the following sound sensible to you
> >
> > olcDbCacheSize: 1000000
> > olcDbIDLcacheSize: 1200000
> > set_cachesize 4 0 2
>
> I would do set_cachesize 8 0 0
>
> > I also want to give a bit of headroom for new user accounts (approx rate
> > of increase 80,000/y) and creating a group object for each user.
>
> Ok.

> > > So with 300,000 users, your caches look fine.  I would definitely
> > > recommend using an SHM key if you are going to stick with using BDB.  I
> > > personally prefer using MDB with current RE24 these days. It is
> > > magnitudes faster than BDB in all aspects if you enable write map.
> >
> > I've looked at your guidance on using SHM keys but I'm slightly reluctant
> > to start playing around with kernel settings on production servers :-)
> > The existing default settings on RHEL 5 seem massive in comparison though:
> > kernel.shmmax = 68719476736
> >
> > kernel.shmall = 4294967296
> >
> > Whereas based on the ZImbra performance tuning page I calculated (based
> > on 8GB BDB cache size + 0.5GB for other stuff)
> >
> > shmall would be: 2228224
> >
> > and shmmax:  8589934592
> >
> > Both of which appear to be an order of magnitude smaller than the
> > defaults! Then there appears to be some Zimbra-specific commands but I'm
> > guessing the equivalent is just setting the olcDBShmKey in slapd.d on
> > vanilla OpenLDAP?
> >
> > My plan in the longer term is to move to MDB but when I tried it out on
> > one of our test VMs (40GB HD) it pretty much devoured all available disk
> > space. Is there a rule of thumb for deriving probable MDB disk space
> > requirements based on existing BDB size?
> >
> > Thanks for the help and apologies for all the additional questions!
> >
> > Kind regards,
>
> You only have to adjust the SHM bits in sysctl if the default values are not large \
> enough.  As for MDB, it generally takes about 2/3rds the space of BDB.
> --Quanah
>

> --
>
> Quanah Gibson-Mount
> Sr. Member of Technical Staff
> Zimbra, Inc
> A Division of VMware, Inc.
> [...]

Mark R Cairney
ITI UNIX Section
Information Services

Tel: 0131 650 6565
Email: Mark.Cairney(a)ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.