List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: OpenLDAP and optional kerberos ?
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2007-12-29 22:41:50

Nicolas GRENECHE wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need tu replace an old NIS with a topnotch OpenLDAP server.
> I would like to add SSO support on my brand new architecture.
>
> 2 scenarii may occur :
> 1) Using pam_kerberos to authentaicate against KDC and retreiving
> information from LDAP server with SASL.
> The backward is that anyone (or anything) that need to authenticate MUST
> be kerberos aware.

You mean that any LDAP client must be Kerberos aware? Certainly clients don't
need to know anything about Kerberos for pam_kerberos to work. And Kerberos in
LDAP is just a matter of using SASL, the Kerberos details are handled by GSSAPI.

> 2) Having LDAP and Kerberos passwords synced.
> Asset : You can authenticate through LDAP or kerberos (pam_ldap required
> an pam_kerberos optional) ie you must authenticate against LDAP and if
> Kerberos autentication success you get a TGT !
> Backward : Two password databases to protect / lot of work on client
> side / passwords must be synced (Do you now materials to do it ?).

This doesn't seem to offer any actual benefits over (1). But as a matter of
course, I would use a Heimdal KDC backed by OpenLDAP, in which case there is
only one password database for both.

--
   -- Howard Chu