List:       openldap-software
Subject:    Re: Getting Started
From:       Jon Roberts <jon () jonanddeb ! net>
Date:       2005-11-28 2:39:24

Leslie Tighe wrote:
> The code snipped below produces an invalid dn exception so I am not sure if my setup is correct.
>
>     String password = "secret";
>     LDAPConnection ld = new LDAPConnection();
>   ld.connect("localhost",389);
>   ld.bind(ldapVersion, "Manager", password.getBytes("UTF8") );

This JLDAP snippet appears okay except that the appropriate bind dn is
probably not "Manager". You should probably start at the beginning:

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/intro.html#What%20is%20LDAP

and note that a distinguished name is formatted similar to the example
'uid=babs,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com'.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com