List:       openldap-software
Subject:    Re: backend-perl compilation
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2004-06-22 7:11:02

Joshua Ginsberg wrote:

> Hello --
>
> I found
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200203/msg00061.html in the
> archives describing the exact difficulties I'm having in compiling
> backend-perl under OpenLDAP 2.1.29 on Fedora Core 2. The poster suggests
> that rebuilding Perl is necessary. What options must one compile perl
> with to have a reasonably good chance of success compiling backend-perl?
> I'm using an RPM-based distro, so if I can hack perl.spec to compile it,
> that's be awesome. Thanks!

It's been quite a while since I've had to think about that. For sure,
building with EMBED should work. Building with thread support may or may
not work. It may be convenient to build a dynamic/shared libperl,
instead of the default static but that's up to you. I'm a fan of dynamic
linking, but it really only pays off when you know you'll have more than
one instance of a piece of code in use at the same time. Otherwise it's
a waste.
--
   -- Howard Chu