List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: DIT structure for multiple user accounts
From:       "Graeme Joyce" <openldap-list () jade ! co ! nz>
Date:       2000-09-27 0:25:01

did you see this idea?

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-general/200001/msg00043.html

Graeme Joyce.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Wolf" <andy.wolf@nextra.de>
To: <openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 2:22 AM
Subject: DIT structure for multiple user accounts

Hello,

I am thinking about this problem for quite a while and after reading a lot
of stuff on the net as well as the LDAP-bible and the two IBM redbooks
about that topic I still have no clear answer...

Currently I am in the situation that lots of users have multiple accouts
on multiple machines. The accounts have different names and some of them
sould have in the future due to some naming conventions...

Ex. mail accounts start with m..., uucp accounts with u... and so on...

Now the file-directory structure on the machines is different in that on
some systems the homedirectory is in /home/... on others it is
/home/www/... and so on...

One login and one password is nice and a possibility for the furure in
most cases but not all. In most publications you can read about how to
design DIT structure to allow authentication with one login/password-
combination but what to do with different ones ?

I was thinking about different possibilities with referrals, aliases,
sub-elements for the persons and so on but all I was thinking about didn't
fit very well...

Did anyone else have a similar problem and how did you solve that ? How do
you prevent one user to use one account on a certain machine that is not
meant to be used there ?

Did I miss something ?

Andy

---
 Nextra Baden-Wuerttemberg                | Andy Wolf, Software Developer
 Communication Service Provider GmbH      | Tel.: (+49) 0711/6015-0
 Postfach 104137, D-70036 Stuttgart       | Fax.: (+49) 0711/6015-199