List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: International chars w/ OpenLDAP? clients
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6der?= <michael () stroeder ! com>
Date:       2000-09-13 17:01:53

Julio Sanchez Fernandez wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Michael [UTF-8] Ströder wrote:
>
> > Which server, which Netscape version, which charset settings?
>
> That particular test was done with a 4.73 Win32 English Version.
> The server is OpenLDAP 2.0-ish (actually, taken from CVS HEAD
> as of April 11th).  I don't have any specific charset setting.
> HTML pages default to ISO-8859-1 and directories (the 'csid')
> default to UTF-8.  That particular directory is set to UTF-8
> in prefs.js too.

Hmm, it does not work for me (Netscape since 4.5, OpenLDAP 2.0.0).
The LDAP-URLs are created using URL-encoding the ISO-8859-1 charset.
It used to work until 4.08. :-(

> Now, if someone explained to me how the different MS thingies
> decide what charset to use...

Well, Outlook (Express) works right with UTF-8 if the server accepts
LDAPv3 connections. If using a LDAPv2 server Outlook assumes T.61
(ISO-Latin-1).

Ciao, Michael.