List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: [ldap] NIS, DCE and /etc/passwd replacement
From:       gerard () teigetje ! hku ! nl (Gerard Ranke)
Date:       2000-05-30 10:46:15

Hi Chris,

On May 29,  1:21pm, Chris G. Sellers wrote:
> Subject: Re: [ldap] NIS, DCE and /etc/passwd replacement
> Gerard,
> 	If you run pwconv on IRIX = which makes /etc/shadow files = don't
> you get {crypt} passwords?  We have a Sun Directory Server with Crypt
> passwords and it works great on IRIX if we run pwconv first.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood your point?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Chris G. Sellers

I didn't express myself very clearly. The passwords are of course
'crypt(3)'-ed, but other systems could use other hashing methods, like md5. As
I understand it, ldap ( and our radius server ) support this by putting {crypt}
or $1 in front of the password. Simon explained in another post that sgi
supports this as of 6.5.7. Like you said, it works great for unix without the
'{crypt}', but our radius server doesn't buy it...

Gerard