List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: "givenName" attribute missing?
From:       "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt () OpenLDAP ! org>
Date:       2000-05-09 14:40:17

As this is the general mailing list, my answers are going
to be general in nature.  If you want answers more specific
to OpenLDAP software, I suggest you use the OpenLDAP software
mailing list.

At 03:29 PM 5/9/00 +0200, Mikael Grehn wrote:
>I noticed that the attribute "givenName" is not present in the
>(standard) objectclass list included in the openLdap package.

Like U-Mich LDAP 3.3, OpenLDAP provides the old "pilot" schema
which doesn't depend upon (and, hence, doesn't include)
"givenName".

>Possible to include it anyway(add objectclass)?

As with most LDAP servers, the schema can be extended.  See
the FAQ and/or the software list archives for details.

>The attribute "givenName" is included as optional in objectclass
>inetOrgPerson but I also noticed that many (all those I tried) LDAPv2
>cant handle "givenName" (or "GN") since the objectclass isnt included.

inetOrgPerson was only recently formally published.  Those
desiring to use inetOrgPerson in OpenLDAP 1.x may do so
by extending the schema.  Check the software list archives
for .conf file(s) which implement inetOrgPerson in OpenLDAP.

>Isnt givenName a very useful attribute?

To those who need it, yes.

>What are the alternatives (when one wants to send only firstname)?

In the existing schema, cn.  Otherwise, extended the schema.