List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: Outlook/Outlook Express
From:       tim.bosinius () gkd-rso ! de (Bosinius, Tim)
Date:       1999-07-23 8:59:34

> How do I configure Outlook Express so that it can connect to my LDAP
server?
>   I have got a debug version currently running under NT, & even tested out
> ldap tools (search, add, delete, etc.) from command line.
>
> Now I would like to do the same through Outlook or Outlook Express & hence
> the question.  I have added my directory server by using the Add button
> option under Tools|Account|Directory Service (Tab).  I set the Properties
> with only a Server name under General Tab & Server Port No to 389 under
the
> Advanced Tab.  I have set the Search Base to "o=ZoomTown.com, c=US"
without
> the double quotes(").

I never used the dialog, since we use the unattended installation method for
Windows NT.
Therefore I add the required registry settings during setup using the
setupapi.

The setting that work for us are:

ldap.reg
---begin---
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account
Manager\Accounts\*OUR ORG*]
"Account Name"="*SERVICE NAME*"         !!!
"LDAP Server"="*SERVER*"                        !!!
"LDAP Authentication"=dword:00000000
"LDAP Server ID"=dword:00000007
"LDAP Resolve Flag"=dword:00000000
"LDAP Timeout"=dword:0000003c
"LDAP Search Return"=dword:00000064
"LDAP Search Base"="*SEARCH BASE FROM SLAPD.CONF*"        !!!
"LDAP Port"=dword:00000185
"LDAP Secure Connection"=dword:00000000
"LDAP Simple Search"=dword:00000001
"LDAP Bind DN"=dword:00000000
"LDAP NTDS"=dword:00000002
--- end ---

Change the values in the marked line above to your needs.
Please note that I install these setting under HKLM. Otherwise you have to
define them
for every user under HKCU - that is the point where the dialog will write
the setting. You can
use the setting you have there know - compare them with mine and change
yours if needed.

If you want to use the setupapi use the following syntax:

    command:     rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128
.\ldap.inf

add all lines below with field and values from the ldap.reg file above
ldap.inf:
---begin---
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg = AddReg

[AddReg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\*OUR
ORG*","KEY",,"VALUE"

Outlook 98 and Outlook Express both use the WAB for LDAP Search. The WAB
uses the wldap32.dll.
Make sure you have the right dll installed on our computer.

Tim Bosinius