List:       openldap-general
Subject:    Re: ldap package header format
From:       WONG Chee Hong <cheehong () privateexpress ! com ! sg>
Date:       1999-07-15 21:41:49

Hi,

Haruki Mizuno wrote:

> Dear LDPA experts,
> I am a newbi of LDAP. I am studying LDAP protocol, and trying to write a
> proxy for LDAP. The proxy simple parse header, and print out fields on
> consol. This will help me understand LDAP better. I was looking for docs
> have details on lengths of header fields, and how to parse header. I am
> confuesed after reading RFCs. Appreciate all related pointers or
> suggestions.

    You can run a packet sniffer to help you if you just wish to see the
raw packets rather developing your own proxy.

    Also, it will be slightly harder to interpret as compare to other
Internet protocol like HTTP as it uses BER.  The best way to study it is
to read the OpenLDAP code in the sldapd directory.  (That's how I pick
it up)

--
Chee-Hong WONG
Technologist