List:       openldap-devel
Subject:    Re: ldap_get_values() called on binary data - does this return an error, or garbage data?
From:       Jordan Brown <openldap () jordan ! maileater ! net>
Date:       2024-04-03 18:19:30

On 4/3/2024 10:22 AM, Howard Chu wrote:
> Jordan Brown wrote:
> > Is there even a straightforward way in the protocol to get type information?  If \
> > the protocol won't tell you, a client library can't tell you.
> Any client can retrieve the schema definition of any schema element using an LDAP \
> Search request.

I had thought that all of those schema definitions were
server-specific.  But I see that RFC 4512 standardizes them.  Thanks.

So that would seem to be the answer to the question:  if you want to
know how to handle a particular data item, you need to query its schema.

--
Jordan Brown, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, Oracle Solaris