List:       openldap-devel
Subject:    Re: authPassword (RFC 3112) implemented?
From:       Kurt Zeilenga <kurt () openldap ! org>
Date:       2007-07-15 22:41:28

On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>
>> If it's no longer needed - what has changed?  I thought it was
>> invented
>> because the existing scheme of '{hash method}' in userPassword
>> broke the
>> LDAP standard.  Which it still does.
>
> Simply no-one cares.

For multiple reasons, yes.

> BTW: IIRC RFC 3112 also lacks a definition of charset encoding for
> textual strings. This was kinda solved for userPassword by an
> implementation hint in RFC 4519 requiring SASLprep/UTF-8 but not
> for the
> authPasswordSyntax.

In due time the other specifications will be appropriately updated.

The client is to use SASLprep/UTF-8 when using simple bind.  When a
client updates the password, whether by LDAP Password Modify or by
LDAP Modify (of userPassword (hashed or not) or authPassword), they
should also apply SASLprep/UTF-8.