List:       openldap-devel
Subject:    Re: Run-time registered controls
From:       Pierangelo Masarati <ando () sys-net ! it>
Date:       2005-01-29 14:31:29

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

>I've updated controls.c/backends.c with a kludge which provide
>proper criticality handling.

I'm getting more and more convinced that the design of
backend_check_controls() is obsoleted by current code design.  It
originated from the need to check whether a certain backend was able to
handle a specific control when control handling implementations were
essentially backend-specific; now we're moving towards an implementation
of control handling that it rather overlay-centric, allowing the same
implementation to be shared by different backends and thus moving it a
bit towards the frontend, in the no man's land between the two.  So
either we make backend_check_controls() be intercepted by overlays, or
we design a different type of check, e.g. something that is invoked at
the fronted level and uses the requestDN as a hint to trace what path
the handling of the request will take.  This would likely require
multiple select_backend() invocations, unless we group the two tasks,
and let backend_check_controls(), or even backend_check_restrictions(),
return the selected and validated database.

p.